The Maryland Department of the Environment estimates that about 30% of the ozone causing pollution in our region comes from motor vehicles. Most of those vehicles carry one person to and from work. If more people decided not to drive alone but ride transit instead, there would be fewer cars and less pollution.
Find out what transit service is available in your neighborhood:
Baltimore City and Surrounding Region | Anne Arundel County | City of Annapolis | Baltimore County | Carroll County | Harford County | Howard County
- Charm City Circulator - Free bus service in parts of downtown Baltimore City
- Maryland Transit Administration - Bus service in Baltimore City and parts of Anne Arundel and Baltimore counties, is provided by the Maryland Transit Administration. The MTA provides bus, light rail, heavy rail, and commuter rail options. Information on their services can be accessed on the web site. You will find maps, types of service and how to pay. Or you can call: 410-539-5000 for assistance.
- Maryland Transit Administration - bus, light rail, and MARC commuter rail is available.
- Anne Arundel County - The county contracts service to Annapolis Transit and to Central Maryland Regional Transit for bus service.
- Annapolis Transit - The City of Annapolis offers service to city destinations and beyond into Anne Arundel County.
- Maryland Transit Administration - bus service.
- Maryland Transit Administration - bus, light rail, Metro subway, and MARC commuter rail services are available.
- Carroll Area Transit System - CATS is a private nonprofit corporation providing dedicated shuttle and demand-response transportation to meet the needs of seniors, people with disabilities, and transportation disadvantaged of Carroll County. Demand-response is a shared ride, door to door, advanced reservation service offered on a space available basis and with driver assistance. Anyone can use CATS, however those who require any type of assistance to board, ride, and/or disembark must notify the dispatcher of their special needs when they schedule their transportation so that the proper vehicle can be scheduled. To schedule a ride on CATS, call toll free at 866-304-2287 or 410-876-RIDE.
- Harford Transit - Use Harford Transit service to travel to Aberdeen, Havre de Grace, Riverside, Edgewood, and Joppatowne. Bus and MARC commuter rail services are available.
- Howard Transit - provides fixed route bus service in Clarksville, Columbia, Ellicott City, North Laurel, Savage and Elkridge. Service is also available to BWI Airport, selected MARC stations, and industrial parks along the US 1 corridor in Howard County. Most routes operate Monday through Saturday, and selected routes offer Sunday services. Bus and MARC commuter rail services are available.
- Central Maryland Regional Transit - provides daily bus service in the Laurel area with routes that operate between Laurel and Columbia and in the Whiskey Bottom area of Howard County. Stops are available in Savage, Owen Brown, and Kings Contrivance with free transfers to Howard Transit Routes.
In addition, there are a number of travel options for the elderly, people with disabilities and/or others with special mobility needs.
Combine your trip with a bicycle: How to Place Your Bike on an MTA Bus
For more information: