BRTB Public Participation Plan
The Baltimore Regional Transportation Board (BRTB) is committed to meaningful public participation in the regional transportation planning process. Transportation planning must be done with the public’s involvement.
While federal laws and regulations set a framework for public involvement in transportation planning, the Baltimore Regional Transportation Board seeks to go beyond the letter of these laws to fulfill the true spirit of full public participation.That means an open process that offers reasonable access to information, timely public notice, full public access to key decisions, and support for early and continued involvement of stakeholders in the metropolitan transportation planning process.
ABOUT THE PUBLIC PARTICIPATION PLAN
There are two intended audiences for the Public Participation Plan:
- The Public Participation Plan serves as a guidebook for the public as to how and when they can engage in the regional transportation planning and decision-making process.
- The Public Participation Plan clearly outlines the policies and procedures for those responsible for engaging the public in the regional planning process. That is, BRTB members, subcommittee members and planning staff.
The streamlined plan is easier to read and a number of new policies have been added to the plan, including:
- A new section on accepting comments via social media
- Details about a new tool to conduct outreach to traditionally underserved populations
- A new section on evaluation
The Public Participation Plan is organized into several sections:
Public Involvement Policies
This section outlines the process and procedures the BRTB will follow when conducting public involvement. It includes such things as how the public can submit comments, what the BRTB will do with the comments it receives, when public meetings or comment periods will be held, and how the public can find out how to get involved.
Strategies for Outreach, Education & Engagement
The tools and techniques used to educate and engage the public in the regional transportation planning process.
The tools used to measure both the quantity and quality of interactions with the public.
Information and links to more information on the planning process and federal regulations, including:
* Making Public Comments at BRTB Meetings: A Brief How To Guide
* BRTB Public Testimony Rules and Procedures
* BRTB Public Notice on Title VI Compliance
* Basic Facts about Regional Transportation Planning
Note: these PDFs can be translated to other languages by visiting translate.google.com and clicking on the translate a document hyperlink.
From there, you will then be prompted to upload the PDF select your target language.
Please note this feature may not be enabled on all mobile devices at this time.
PUBLIC REVIEW OF PUBLIC PARTICIPATION PLAN
The Baltimore Regional Transportation Board (BRTB) welcomes comments from Tuesday, April 10 through Thursday, May 24, 2018 on a draft of the Public Participation Plan. The BRTB is scheduled to vote on the amendments on Tuesday, June 26 at 9 a.m.
View the draft 2018 Public Participation Plan
* The Baltimore Regional Transportation Board is the Metropolitan Planning Organization for the Baltimore Region. The BRTB operates its programs and services without regard to race, color, or national origin in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable laws. Appropriate services can be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities or those in need of language assistance who submit a request at least seven days prior to a meeting. Call 410‐732‐0500.