Increased Funding for Transportation Improvements (2014-2017 TIP Amendment)
Increased Funding to Plan and Construct Transportation Improvements
2014-2017 Transportation Improvement Program Amendments
The Baltimore Regional Transportation Board (BRTB) welcomed comments on funding for several projects in the region through Thursday, July 17, 2014.
Specifically, the Maryland State Highway Administration, Carroll County and Baltimore City requested amendments to the 2014-2017 Transportation Improvement Program to reflect additional funding for the projects listed below.
On July 22, the BRTB approved these projects via BRTB Resolutions #15-2, #15-3, and #15-4.
Summary of Amendments
The State Highway Administration proposed:
- An additional $4 million for the engineering phase of the I-795 Interchange Study at Dolfield Road and Pleasant Hill Road in Baltimore County. The study will provide improved access to the planned growth and major employment corridor along Red Run Boulevard on the west side of I-795 and will address vehicular, pedestrian and bicycle accessibility at selected intersections.
Baltimore City Department of Transportation requested:
- An additional $1.36 million in federal and $340,000 in local funds for design and construction for the Greenmount Avenue Reconstruction and Resurfacing, from 43rd Street to 29th Street. This includes new pavement, lighting, landscaping, sidewalks and traffic calming designs to improve safety.
- A reallocation of $5 million in federal and local funding for design and construction costs for Citywide Guide Sign Replacement. Funds will be used to replace deteriorated navigational traffic signs with new signs that meet modern reflective standards.
Carroll County proposed the following bridge improvements:
- $553,500 to replace the White Rock Road, over Piney Run Bridge.
- $400,400 to replace the Bixler Church Road, over Big Pipe Creek Bridge.
- $2.9 million toward the replacement of the existing 3-span bridge, including piers and abutments to Shepherds Mill Road, over Little Pipe Creek Bridge.
- $800,000 for cleaning, painting and maintenance of other county bridges.
Public Review and Comment
A public review period was held from Wednesday, June 18 through Thursday, July 17, 2014. During this time, two public meetings to share information and accept comments were held on:
- Tuesday, July 8 from 4:30 to 7 p.m. at the Owings Mill Public Library, Room C (10302 Grand Central Avenue Owings Mills, Maryland 21117
- Wednesday, July 9 from 5 to 7 p.m. at the 29th Street Community Center (300 East 29th Street, Baltimore, MD 21218). Transit accessible by MTA bus #3, 8, 11, 12, 22, and 61.
Comments were also welcome during the Public Comment Opportunity of the BRTB meetings on Tuesday, Tuesday, June 24 and Tuesday, July 22 at 9 a.m. (vote).
The Baltimore Regional Transportation Board operates its programs and services without regard to race, color, or national origin in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable laws. Appropriate services can be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities or those in need of language assistance who submit a request at least seven days prior to a meeting. Call 410-732-0500.
For more information: