About the Public Advisory Committee
VOLUNTEERS WANTED! You can help shape the future of transportation in the Baltimore Region - Apply today to serve.
Transportation affects each of us, each day, but not in the same way. That is why it is essential that a wide variety of individuals, businesses, and organizations are engaged in the regional transportation planning process and that their voices are heard.
The Baltimore Regional Transportation Board’s Public Advisory Committee (BRTB-PAC) is a diverse group of residents, representatives of community organizations, and industry professionals that provide essential independent, region-oriented advice regarding regional transportation planning and related issues. Members also assist in promoting equity and public awareness and public participation in the regional transportation planning process.
The Mission of the BRTB Public Advisory Committee is to:
- Serve as an advisory body to the BRTB.
- Provide independent, region-oriented citizen advice on issues related to the development of the Baltimore Regional Transportation Plan, Unified Planning Work Program, Transportation Improvement Program and amendments that affect the region’s conformity with federal air quality requirements, the public involvement process, regionally significant land use issues, and other regional transportation-related issues, as appropriate.
- Promote public awareness and participation in the regional transportation planning process. Promote equity in the regional transportation planning process.
Why serve on the BRTB Public Advisory Committee?
Transportation in our region should reflect how transportation impacts you, your neighbor, and everyone else in the region. This can only be done if you get involved, learn how transportation planning works and voice your opinion.
Volunteering to serve on the Public Advisory Committee is a great way to give direct input to decision makers. It can also:
- Help your community or organization get your voice heard
- Learn new information and discuss important planning issues directly with staff and BRTB members
- Shape regional planning by sharing new ideas or giving feedback
Meetings are generally held on the 1st Wednesday of the month from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. in Baltimore. In addition, all members serve on a subcommittee, which also meet monthly. Currently there are 3 subcommittees of the BRTB Public Advisory Committee: (1) Public Involvement and Outreach Subcommittee - This committee conducts outreach and focuses on improving the public involvement process and activities of the BRTB; (2) Policy Subcommittee - This committee focuses on transportation plans and policies; (3) Membership Subcommittee - This committee focuses on orientation and recruitment of new members.
The total volunteer commitment is typically 3-5 hours/month. New members are appointed annually by the BRTB for 3-year terms, starting in January. Shorter terms may also be available throughout the year.
Want to know more? Join us at a meeting!
Attending a BRTB Public Advisory Committee meeting is a good way to learn about the various issues related to transportation, the environment, and environmental justice. The meetings are open to the public to attend as a guest and participate in discussions as time allows.You can also talk to members of the BRTB-PAC to get their perspective on issues. Check the calendar for the upcoming BRTB-PAC meeting for exact details on issues to be discussed.
The Bylaws for the BRTB Public Advisory Committee also provides detailed information on its mission, meetings, and how it functions. Minutes from recent meetings are also available.
Ready to apply?
For more information: